Understanding the critical role that cultural competence plays in our day-to-day work, BAMSI is certified by the Massachusetts Supplier Diversity Office as a minority-owned, not-for-profit corporation which embraces the belief that family voice and choice matter. At BAMSI, promoting and supporting diversity enriches not only our services, but the communities where we live and work and the lives of those we serve. BAMSI is dedicated to integrating skills, attitudes, and policies to ensure that we are addressing the needs of individuals and families with diverse values, beliefs, and sexual orientations, in addition to backgrounds that vary by race, ethnicity, religion, and language.
BAMSI’s commitment to cultural competency includes:
- A Board of Directors with a majority of members representing the ethnically diverse populations of persons served by BAMSI
- Advisory boards with membership reflective of the populations being served
- Enrollment and educational materials in different languages, consistent with the needs of the populations we serve
- Language support services and translation services
- Standards for recruiting and hiring culturally competent staff
- Treatment modalities that are acceptable and sensitive to language and cultural factors, religious beliefs, and sexual orientation
- A quality monitoring program that evaluates the quality of services and outcomes with respect to culturally diverse populations
- Regular cultural competency trainings
We understand that meeting the needs of diverse individuals, families, and communities also requires a workforce that is composed of a wide variety of perspectives, viewpoints, and backgrounds. BAMSI is committed to building a team of talented professionals from different backgrounds and cultures. We value these differences and provide the necessary support for each employee to do his or her best work.